Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Walnut & Black Dining Table

 

My sister needed a round table in her new home's kitchen nook and I just so happened to have a round oak table in storage. She wanted it done to match their existing dining set that was done in a distressed black with stained top finish. OK, let me do that for you. :)


Here is the solid wood table pre makeover. It has great classic shape and additional leaf for added functionality.


The table was taken apart and scrubbed well with Dixie Belle white lightning cleaner, rinsed well and dried.


The leaf had some damage to the edges so after they were filled with Dixie Belle mud and it dried well, all was power sanded smooth ready to go.



The pedestal base, table apron and leaf sides were all painted 2 coats of grey Dixie Belle BOSS. This step will assure a good adherence for the paint and being tinted grey work better under the black paint.


Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


Next up the table top and leaf top were stained in a rich walnut Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain applied with an Dixie Belle applicator pad. Big difference right? The stain went right over the existing finish as it was in excellent condition. This not only saves loads of time stripping and sanding but keeps a durable surface under the gel stain.


This stain was now left to dry and check in with my sister for color.


Here is a video of the first coat of Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain.


The rest of the table was up next painted in anchor from the Dixie Belle silk mineral paint line. It is such a rich black color. Above the table edge (apron) looks lovely.


When painting pieces I like to start with them upside down to get all those edges done first so not missed as well it prevents scratches and dings to fresh paint if done after.


After the first coat I did a test distress and sent this video to my sister. NOTE the first coat always looks a bit sketchy so don't panic. The light distressing after the first coat also makes it a bit easier to do following the second coat as the area is now thinner.


The second coat of anchor Dixie Belle silk mineral paint is complete.


The leaf edges were done as well.


The minimal distressing was done on all the painted edges using a Dixie Belle sanding sponge. The sponge then was lightly used on the flat surfaces to make sure the paint was super smooth. Wiping with a soft cloth removes and sanding dust.


My sister came to see the table in person and decided on a second coat of the walnut No Pain Gel Stain. Using another Dixie Belle applicator pad it went on beautifully.


The second coat looks amazing.


About a week later I decided to add a few extra clear coats for durability seeing my sister has 4 small children. For the fist coat I applied Dixie Belle Gator Hide with an angled mini Dixie Belle synthetic brush.


For the second coat I applied Dixie Belle satin clear coat as I find gator hide can to have a few slight marks when dry but I learned after that these 2 products work better reversed. Put the satin clear coat  on first then the gator hide. Between and after coats I like to buff the surface with a brown paper bag. Yep, this is like very fine grit sand paper and leaves a super smooth surface.


The slightly distressed edges, black paint and dark stain is exactly what my sister wanted.


The round table will work perfect in their nook area (photos are staged in my home) for the 4 kids to have breakfast, snacks, do homework etc.


And the table with the leaf is perfect for all 6 of them when they need more room for friends and family too.


Check out a similar table for sale on Wayfair below ... the above solid wood table sold for just over a third of the price and was custom ordered to my sister's color choices. Reviving this table; a piece already in the world also makes a great environmental choice too.









Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON

Tuesday Turnabout



Comments

  1. Your sister is receiving a beautiful piece made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to tell you this post will be featured in this week's Tuesday Turn About Link Party! Pinning! Great job Lee Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! that means allot and thanks for hosting too

      Delete
  3. As some one who also refinishes furniture, I know HOW MUCH WORK you put into this project! The table is stunning. This is a beautiful piece of furniture and your sister is SO lucky. Thank you for sharing your post on the Home Imagined Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Anna, your kind words made my day, appreciate them :)

      Delete

Post a Comment