Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Patinaed Garden Angel

This garden angel was an anniversary gift from years ago. She has seen a few seasons of varying weather here in western Canada. It was time for a relove. I had always envisioned her in a pretty blue green patina. I am loving the end result. Let me share how I gave her this new look.


First step was to clean off all the gunk, spider webs etc. Add Dixie Belle white lightning cleaner to a bucket of warm water.


Scrub the piece well on all sides. Rinse well.


Then let dry well.


For the base coat, I brushed on coffee bean Dixie Belle Paint. I used a couple sizes of Dixie Belle synthetic brushes to apply. Be sure to get the paint in all the nooks and crannies.

This rich dark brown was lovely on its own as you can see going on in the above right photo. But it is going to get even better.


I brushed on 2 solid coats and let dry well.


Bronze Dixie Belle Patina Paint was going on next.

This is a new container. NOTE: the dried on chunks on the lid and surface are the metal flakes. These cause the chemical reaction and are needed. Carefully scrap them back into the tub and mix thoroughly to incorporate them into the paint before applying to your project.



I found it easier to lay the angel on her side to paint the wings coco bean and the bronze Dixie Belle Patina Paint layers. I used a 2" Dixie Belle premium chip brush for this layer of paint.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


The angel was then stood up and the entire statue covered in the first coat of bronze paint. This layer needs to dry then a second coat of bronze Patina Paint. This is where you need to be ready to move. The Dixie Belle Patina Spray must be applied while the 2nd coat is wet!


Dixie Belle Patina Spray going on video. I used mostly green spray with some blue.


TIP: Start on the back side of large projects. It was a very hot day when I was applying. The second coat of metallic paint needs to be wet when the spray is applied. I worked in 4 quadrants starting on the front lower half. This was so the spray would run down and allow the bronze paint to go on the top without any spray contaminating it. However it did leave a line. If I started at the back there would be a natural line at wings lower edge.


The chemical reaction happens fully over a few hours. This is what it looks like nearly dry.


I did touchups after it was completely dry, I dabbed on the bronze paint in areas I wanted to add more (along the front line for one) then sprayed lightly again. I also highlighted edges where the bronze would look like it was worn over these sprayed areas.


I am loving the look.


I chose Dixie Belle Gator Hide to seal the layers. This is the most durable clear coat in the Dixie Belle line. I used my favorite 2" angled Dixie Belle synthetic brush. It makes it easy to get in the nooks and crannies.


The gator hide does have a bit of a sheen but it dulls more as it dries.


Check out the video view of this cutie.


After a few days of drying she was put back in my garden.


Don't hesitate to update any garden décor you have that needs a makeover. Here are a few other garden décor projects I have done; Angel garden stakes, jumbo flower stakes and a bowling ball turned gazing ball.





Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON


Hometalk Jan 5, 2024

Shared on these fun link up parties


Comments

  1. Love this patina LeeAnn! Looks like copper, my husband and I are big fans of copper. That patina always pulls at our heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I am so pleased with my end result! Copper is such a pretty metal to patina :)

      Delete
  2. This turned out amazing! It literally looks like verdis gris copper. Thank you for sharing this post on the Home Imagined Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the result and the how to. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Jeanne, I appreciate you kind words!

      Delete
    2. Diana - this process restored her to her greatness. Really brought out the details in her face and wings. Nicely done!

      Delete
  4. Nice article! Keep up the good work and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment