Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Antique Buffet Goes Farmhouse - lots of pics and video

 


Are you a fan of this sideboard/buffet update?


I LOVE antique pieces especially sideboards or buffet; the names seem interchangeable until I read this

It's All About the Legs

It's safe to use the terms sideboard, buffet, and credenza interchangeably when shopping. The subtle differences between them have to do with the legs. A sideboard has short, stubby legs and may include a hutch for display. A buffet has higher legs and no hutch. A credenza has low or no legs, and will typically have sliding cabinet doors. 

 When I saw this buffet on a bidding site I had to win it.


Of course it needed a few repairs after years of service. On the back part of the buffet (not positive of the correct name, if you know please message me) the applique was missing broke off pieces. I made new pieces using PC Lumber epoxy putty then carving with a pottery tool.


Luckily the missing piece of veneer was in the drawer.


Using my wood glue and a offset metal spatula I glued it back on as well as getting the lifted edges glued too. Then all was clamped flat and flush with a board and clamps and left to dry.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Once all was dry the entire buffet was scrubbed inside and out using Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner in warm water.


This is a very important step as over the years a piece collects lots of grime and this one seems to have come from a smoking home. You will see dark tobacco colored water running off as you scrub. Yucky!


Once it is scrubbed clean, I rinse with clean water from a hose then dry the wood surfaces with a towel.


The board used to keep all the veneer flat was removed, and wee missing areas of veneer were filled with DAP wood pro-x and left to dry. Using my new 3/4" carbide scraper from Richard tools I was able to smooth the edges of the veneer flush.


Then as a finishing step all was lightly hand sanded smooth.


The top has some water rings. This is a problem on many pieces. And there are allot of suggestions out there to remove it. I did try paint stripper then mineral spirits, no luck with either.


Next I hand sanded the top with a medium grit SurfPrep rad pad but it needed a bit more. My orbital sander and 120 then 220 grit were used to get the top as smooth as possible. But the water marks still remained faintly.


The plan for the top is to hemp oil it. Hemp oil is the perfect hydrating dealer for these antique pieces. See how it brings out the gorgeous grain and deepens the natural color? It also made the water marks disappear!!


A little video demo to show you how easy it is to apply!


I applied 3 coats of hemp oil allowing it to dry overnight between coats and will add a couple more in the future as there is still more oil needed.


Next it was onto the inside of the buffet. The wood really needed rehydrating and deodorizing; hello Dixie Belle Big Mama’s Butta



This was my first time trying this product and I was gobsmacked. It was so easy to apply (I used a Dixie Belle's oval brush  I designated as a wax brush) and made such a big difference. Check out before and after above. I loved it so much I did the entire inside of the buffet including the underside of the top, drawer runners and all sides of the drawer area. (click this link for a longer video using the butta)

I look forward to trying the orange grove scent for my next tub. Suzanne's garden scent is very floral leaning towards rose mainly.


The color I chose for the buffet body is Dixie Belle in fluff.


The bottom drawer was the test subject ; perfect!


So onto the entire base.


Goodbye to the last of the original stain.


Two coats were the perfect coverage. A light sanding and distressing was done all over using a Dixie Belle sanding sponge.


The original hardware was so lovely but it did need a polish.


To seal the warm white paint I chose Dixie Belle easy peasy spray wax. Spray and wipe, easy peasy.


Then to bring out the great applique details and add age back to the piece I used a chip brush to add Dixie Belle's best dang wax in brown.


I love how it brings out the detailing.


You can see the difference from just fluff on left door and added brown wax on right and center drawers.


The hardware and top back plate was added back on and it is complete.


I even found a brass key from D Lawless Hardware that makes the top drawer lock!






This one is a keeper, I did it for our home.


Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared at these link up parties

Comments