Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Antiqued Pink Antique Dresser

 



Have you seen the color pink trending in furniture online lately? I was very surprised perusing Instagram for the last few months at its popularity.


I recently found this antique dresser and had a great customer call it to be custom painted. The color she wanted... soft pink!


I was very excited to create something unique from this little beauty.


While I was stripping the top of this dining table and antique accent demi lune table I also stripped this dresser top.


Then it was completely scrubbed inside and out to remove years of grit, grunge and grime.


The drawer runners were glued and clamped into place to solidify the framework and rubbed with wax to provide smooth moving drawers.

Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


The hardware had been removed and it was time to address the drawer fronts. Rather then painting them the pink I suggested we stain them like the planned top for a two tone look and the customer was game. I started with my orbital sander to remove that built up layers of shellac and previous stains and clear coats.


But moved on to the handiest remover: my carbide scraper from Richard toolsThis scraper is amazing in its removal of old finishes.


See the difference above with the scraper on the left and sander on the right?


All 3 drawers were scraped clean then power sanded smooth.


The scraper was used all over the dresser body front and sides to remove the old drippy, layered and chipping finish.


It was one of our hottest days to be doing this but so worth the end results.


Then it too was power sanded smooth. The mandevilla plant int he background I overwintered in my garage and just look at the blooms this year.


Now on to the painting of the dresser body.  Jolie Paint in rose quartz was chosen. Here it is going on.

This is the last of the tester size paint pot, can you believe it painted these other projects (4 jewelry boxes) as well as this dresser?


While it dries the top and drawers were next to be stained.


My favorite dark brown stain is Homestead House / Fusion Stain Oil Finish in cappuccino!


It is easy to wipe on, let absorb then wipe off the excess.


This video shows just how easy.


This is coat number 1. 


I allow it to dry over night, lightly sponge sand and apply another coat the next day. Then for added shine and durability I added 2 coats of the natural color SFO in the same fashion.


Once the paint was dry I smoothed it and distressed the edges with Jolie sanding sponge.


Using Jolie's  fabulous wax brush, I sealed the paint with  Jolie's clear wax. It is so smooth and easy to apply. Once it is applied I lightly wipe any excess off with a soft lift-free cloth.


Wanting to keep the dresser looking its age, Jolie's brown wax was added to the nooks, crannies and edges and blended in.



Perfection!!


Everything was put together once dry.


One of the original wood knobs was broken but luckily I had some vintage knobs from other projects on hand. The customer chose the smaller antiqued brass circles.


Almost complete.


The final step was to cut new drawer runners that were lost over the years.


They were glued and brad nailed in place and left to dry well overnight.


Hardware was put on and this adorable cutie was complete!!


Are you a fan? The customer was thrilled and that is what makes my heart happy when I can create a buyers vision.


Click here to see more Jolie painted projects








Look at that gorgeous wood grain.


I am a brand ambassador and affiliate with Jolie, if you would like to order and receive discount off your order please use this code INF-CREATIVEMOMENTS, I guarantee will love their products.



Comments

  1. Such a great makeover! I really admire your work! Thanks for sharing at the Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make Link Party! Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for taking time to share your kind words, I really appreciate it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment