Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Coastal Farmhouse Coffee Table Goes Traditional Farmhouse

 


This sweet coffee table went thru not 1 but 2 makeovers, this is the final finish. Do you prefer it or the first makeover below?


The first makeover had a coastal beachy feel but the buyer wanted rich walnut top so who am I to argue :) I did like the fresh airy feel though.


Especially compared to the reddish original finish.

Step 1 clear the piece well with Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner as directed and let dry well.


Although the seller insisted it was solid wood I knew better as I had worked on many over the years. It is wood veneer though which makes it sand-able and this was what I did.


Using my power orbital sander I spent a couple hours going thru the sanding grits to get the dings and scratches smoothed out and back to bare wood.


Flipping it over to paint makes it easier especially if the top is to be stained. I like to do the under edges of the table and apron too for a professional finish. To be sure the reddish stain does not bleed thru the solid wood legs and table apron I brushed on 2 coats of Dixie Belle BOSS.

I used the tinted white version to also help save on paint as it acts like a primer coat of white color. BOSS blocks odor, staining and seals the wood; perfect.


Flip the table back over and you can see a huge transformation already.

Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Now to paint the base. I chose my latest favorite Dixie Belle silk paint warm white called endless shore using the flat medium Dixie Belle synthetic brush.


Looks good right?


The warm white base needed some definition and dimension so Dixie Belle's best dang wax in brown was applied using the dedicated Dixie Belle chip brush.


Now to the top, the red stain seems to be faintly showing.


Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain in pickling white was applied but it seems not right.


While it was still wet I applied walnut Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain which created a beachy coastal finish.


This was the first makeover finish that was posted on my Facebook page for sale.


A potential buyer asked if I could do the top in solid walnut, why sure I can :)


On goes another coat of walnut Dixie Belle No Pain Gel Stain.


2 more coats were applied allowing to dry between each. After 72 hours Dixie Belle Gator Hide was applied to the top for added durability with a damp Dixie Belle applicator sponge in 2 coats.




The buyer was thrilled with the second makeover.



Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared up at these great link up parties

Comments