Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Nanna's Antique Cabinet Gets an Update

 


A neighbor brought her Nanna's cabinet to me for an update, do you like the new look?


It is a lovely wooden antique cabinet that was given to her with Nanna's dishes in it. She wanted it to be lighter and brighter but still keeping antique charm.


Shop dog Harley inspected it upon arrival and gave it the go ahead.

The one piece unit was wiped down well with warm water, dish soap, a soft cloth and some Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner to get really clean. Then fresh clear water wiped and a soft towel to dry.


The veneer had chipped off in a few places as well as along both lower edges. I decided to try Dixie Belle mud for the very first time. Dixie Belle mud is this product lines wood filler.


I used my handy credit card to swipe into all the areas needing filling and left to dry well.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Once it was dry I sanded it smooth using my fabulous LARGE sponge from Richard tools. This beauty sands flat surfaces in a fraction of the time! 


Wipe the areas with a damp cloth to remove sanding dust.


The first coat of paint was next. Dixie Belle's drop cloth was the perfect warm white for this update. I used my Cling On short brush to brush it on as it seems my shop dog Harley may have thought my only Dixie Belle's oval brush a chew toy.


Even though I lightly sanded all the sides of the cabinet to ensure a smooth surface you will always find spots that have issues not as visible to the eye until painted. This is a brush bristle that was in the former top coat. There were a few I found when I was sanding but paint shows the missed ones easily. Lightly sand and continue painting.


This is the first coat of drop cloth complete; don't panic that it looks a bit streaky. Coat number two will fix that right up.


The first coat of paint was lightly sanded using again the  LARGE sponge.


After the first coat of paint the detailed trim area seem to have some bleed thru so to be sure not to go thru the next coat of paint I sprayed on a few light coats oZinsser Bull's Eye spray shellac .


Here is the second coat of Dixie Belle drop cloth on, lovely right?


But it is to get only better. I love antique pieces to have just a wee bit of distressing to keep the authentic vibe of the piece. Dixie Belle paint easily distresses with a sanding sponge.


Paint sanding and distressing demo with the LARGE sponge from Richard tools.


The entire cabinet was lightly sanded all over, wiped with a dry cloth then clear coated with Dixie Belle's best dang wax then buffed.

And if you have followed me for awhile you know I also love to add detailing with dark wax. Dixie Belle's best dang wax in brown was the perfect color for this antique beauty. See how it makes the simple details pop?


The inside is being left original but of course has some marks over the years of use. I hand rubbed Dixie Belle Big Mama’s Butta in to rehydrate the wood, soften the marks and give the piece a soft floral smell. The shelf below has been treated, what a difference right?


The cabinet is complete!!


I had one of my daughters help me haul it inside to stage as that always shows the reloving best.










Comments

  1. I love how this turned out! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Farmhouse Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words, so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete
  2. I gave an identical cabinet a makeover with black paint. I really like it painted white as well. Besides, white sells and my black version took forever to sell. You are being featured this weekend at the Snickerdoodle Party! Thanks for sharing the makeover with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comments and the feature
      so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete
  3. This is so lovely! I love being able to save an old piece and give it new life again--especially when it has sentimental value.
    Thanks for sharing this on Sundays on Silverado!

    -Niky @ The House on Silverado

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete

Post a Comment