Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Natural Wood Trending Maple Dresser

 


Have you seen the natural wood trend that is all over Instagram right now? I love leaving wood grain where I can but usually stain it however this maple dresser begged to go light and here is how I made it trendy.


I snapped this picture as I was unloading after purchase. The legs were safely tucked in the drawer and mirror removed for travel.


Here they are separately. The mirror will be an optional purchase.


There is also a matching nightstand that was made to match too.

As always everything was scrubbed inside and out upside down with warm soapy water with some Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner.


I find most pieces need some repair. This dresser had a few edges that needed some wood filler. Dixie Belle mud was applied with a plastic spatula and left to dry.


I used my Dewalt orbital sander and 120 grit paper to sand down the bare solid maple drawer fronts.


I love this grain. Then it was time to sand down the top.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


The top and drawer fronts were then hand sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge to smooth wood.


There was a slight discoloration on the top that required a bit more hand sanding to remove.


These surfaces were white washed using white magic Dixie Belle Voodoo Gel Stain applied with a Dixie Belle chip brush and wiped with paper towel to get the coverage you want.


This video shows you how I did it.


Drawer fronts complete.


Then the top was white washed with the Dixie Belle stain as well.


This is my favorite way to paint feet; stick them in a cardboard box to keep upright allowing paint to go on all sides.


I started with a coat of Dixie Belle Paint in cotton.


But when I put the cotton on the dresser it was too stark white against the soft white washed wood. No problem, a damp rag and it was wiped off easily. 


I chose Dixie Belle's fluff white for the dresser body and feet; perfect! Two coats were brushed on with Dixie Belle's oval brush

When dry the paint was lightly sanded with a bit of distressing on the edges then hand waxed with clear Dixie Belle's best dang wax.



To seal the top and drawer fronts I chose Dixie Belle Gator Hide. This will provide a very durable surface for a top that sees allot of wear. Three coats were applied using a damp Dixie Belle applicator sponge.


Then the original hardware was scrubbed up and put back on. I think the color works well with this new look but the buyer can always have me change the color if they want. Would you?






I LOVE how the maple wood grain is enhanced!
here is a video tour for your viewing pleasure





Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared up at these link up parties




Comments

  1. Your upcycled dresser is wonderful - you did a fantastic job.
    And the little maple night stand is similar to the ones my parents had. Seeing it brought back sweet memories!
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying such kind words, they are greatly appreciated!

      Delete

Post a Comment