Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Venetian Plaster Shelf

 


Wanting to totally change the look of this solid maple shelf I chose a faux Venetian / old European plaster look. I am very pleased with the end result, let me share how I did it.



The handcrafted maple shelf was thick, solid and well constructed but it was dated.


The clear coat that was originally applied had drips in many places that would require a full strip and sand to stain dark or light for that matter. Why not give it a total makeover right?

Step 1 - scrub clean with warm soapy water with some Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner, rinse and dry with a towel.


Wanting texture I grabbed my Dixie Belle mud and mixed it with the darkest green I had on hand; Dixie Belle Paint  in mermaid tail. I mixed them together to a icing like consistency.


Using a Dixie Belle chip brush this mixture was stippled on to create texture and left to dry.


Next randomly brush Dixie Belle drop cloth over it all.


Randomly add some more mud layering colors.


Followed by a solid coat of drop cloth.

Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


After leaving all the layers to dry well over night it was all sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge to reveal the layers of colors and show texture. The goal is to look like old plaster.

Everything was then clear waxed with Dixie Belle's best dang wax.


To add even more age and texture to this finish I tried Dixie Belle dirt for the first time. This is earth color and it was the perfect addition. 


To apply, Dixie Belle's clear wax was rubbed in the crevices and after about 5 minutes and tacky the dirt was tapped in place with a Dixie Belle chip brush. Excess can be dumped off or brushed off with a clean chip brush. Everything was sealed with a mist of Dixie Belle easy peasy spray wax.


Tadaa! Be sure to scroll down and watch the short video tour.



If your interested, it is available on my Etsy Store.



video tour



Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared up at these link up parties



Comments

  1. I can't believe how amazing it turned out. I'm very impressed. Thank you for sharing this cool technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kinds words, I truly appreciate them!

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment