Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

DIY Faux Cement Vases

 

I had these square vases and always visualized them as done in a cement like finish so that is what I did. I did each one in a different look so this tutorial is quite long ;)

I have also done other vases in a modern farmhouse collection, a beach vibe collection, a turquoise patinaed collection and a concrete planter.


First step is to scrub them well so the products will adhere to the glass. I used warm soapy water with some Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner. Rinse clear with hot water and let dry.


Next to mix my "cement" ; I mixed Saltwash (a powdered texture additive) with Dixie Belle Paint in hurricane grey. Dixie Belle has a product called sea spray that would have been similar to the Saltwash to add texture to the paint but I do not have it as of yet. It is on my wish list ;)

The 2 were mixed together about 1:1 to make a thick icing like mix. Each of the pieces had a thin coat brushed on with Dixie Belle chip brush a as a primer coat.


Using my offset pallet knife a second coat was applied smoothing on just like cement or like icing a cake.


I chose 2 other greys from the Dixie Belle Paint line; a dark charcoal called midnight sky and a light grey called manatee grey. On the above vase I brushed the mix thicker and random to create even more texture.


Using another Dixie Belle chip brush the midnight sky was randomly dry brushed all over.


Followed by the manatee grey sponged randomly too. It is good to have a Fine Mist Spray Bottle on hand too to dampen brush tips or the sponge as you go to blend.


On the short vase the manatee gray was sponged all over in random directions over a much smoother cement coat.


On the thicker vase midnight sky was brushed all over with a chip brush sprayed with Fine Mist Spray Bottle to make more of a wash.


Ten they were all left to dry overnight. The plant pot in the background was "cement" finished as well and on a separate tutorial.


The next morning all the vase surfaces were sanding to reveal the layers and smooth edges with a handy Dixie Belle sanding sponge.


The sanding adds (right side) but I wanted to add even more texture so manatee gray was sponged on to this vase as well (left side). See how all 3 look so very different? Which is your favorite so far?


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


To seal the finish I used a Dixie Belle applicator sponge applyinDixie Belle flat clear coat. This is the best way to apply and so fast. 2-3 coats were wiped on allowing to dry between.



I think this one is my favorite :)
check out the video view for a 3D look







This super cute antique crate joined the staging process.




Please enjoy scrolling thru the various photos, I tried to get all angles to give you a good look at the finish. If you are interested in one they are available on my Facebook page.













Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Featured On these blogs!

Shared up at these link up parties


Comments

  1. These are so neat. I have all the materials so I have to try this. Do you have the link for the tutorial for the round case you made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, that is awesome, I hope you enjoy making one.

      Which round case?

      Delete
  2. Love them! Thank you for sharing with us at the To Grandma's house we go link party - you're going to be featured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and the feature!! excited to be part of your parties

      Delete
  3. These look amazing! I've recently made some candlestick holders with a cement like finish using normal tissue and chalk paint to create the texture. I'm saving your tutorial to try out next time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kasia, appreciate your kind words and for stopping by. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Those are a lovely set of 3 from Costco that my succulents came in, I love them too

      Delete

Post a Comment