Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Faux Concrete Planter

Have you been following all my vase makeovers; faux cement, copper patina and metallic (coming soon)? Well here is a faux cement plant pot update for you!


I have had this planter for years and once upon a time I liked the porcelain design but it has been on a shelf for years so time for an upcycle. The size and shape are perfect. Step one; clean with warm soapy water with some Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner. Rinse clear with hot water and let dry.


Next to mix my "cement" ; I mixed Saltwash (a powdered texture additive) with Dixie Belle Paint in hurricane grey. Dixie Belle has a product called sea spray that would have been similar to the Saltwash to add texture to the paint but I do not have it as of yet. It is on my wish list ;)

The 2 were mixed together about 1:1 to make a thick icing like mix. A thin coat was brushed on with Dixie Belle chip brush a as a primer coat. Below the first coat is complete and left to dry.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Another coat was applied using an offset pallet knife in a more cement like finish.


Here are all the concrete / cement projects on the go. The planter is at the back all dry now ready to paint.


With a clean Dixie Belle chip brush, midnight sky Dixie Belle Paint was brushed on covering most of the surface.


When dry using the same chip brush Dixie Belle Paint in manatee grey was brushed all over. Then when dry all the layers were lightly sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge.


Final step is to seal it all using used a Dixie Belle applicator sponge applying Dixie Belle flat clear coat. See how the clear coat darkens the layers of paint on the lower half as it is being applied? This is the best way to apply and so fast. 2-3 coats were wiped on allowing to dry between. The flat finish keeps a realistic concrete look.


I love it so much I think I will be hauling out more pots to do!


You can see a couple of the cement vases in the antique crate above on my stunning Dixie Belle painted sideboard.


take a 3D video tour 








Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED On!!





Shared at these link up parties





Comments

  1. That is amazing. I have all of these products so now I will be looking for a ceramic pot. My only question is what is an offset putty knife? I think that is the secret move right there. Thank you for sharing. Now I'm going to figure out how to Pin this to my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Cheryl, the off set knife is shown in the linked cement vases tutorial, shoot I should have shown it here. I will see about adding a picture for you. It is an artist paint pallet knife.

      Delete
    2. here it is 4th picture down https://creativemoments10.blogspot.com/2021/02/faux-cement-vases.html

      Delete
  2. There is no way to pin this onto Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh for sure I pin all my blog tutorial posts. Let me link you too my Pinterest page if that helps to get right from there if unable to get from the blog page.
      https://www.pinterest.ca/lakuhn/creative-moments/

      Delete
  3. I can think of so many things to make with this solution. So glad you decided to visit the party and share the idea. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is such a great way to update so many things right? :)

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful!! I love how it turned out. I would have never thought to do something like this. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I cannot find your name anywhere. Where did you get the plants that you used staging this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, sorry about that, I have changed my blog to show my name, it is Lee Ann :)
      The one is a spider plant and the other is a curtain fig (ficus microcarpa) purchased at our local flower shop. It is really cute isn't it?

      Delete

Post a Comment