Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Floral Stenciled Wooden Crate

  This hand crafted wooden crate needed some pizzaz to give it a one of a kind look ready to hold pretty potted flowers on a front step. Happy Mother's Day it will be for one lucky Mom!

Creating a Vegetable Garden in a Hayfield

This spring I decided to create an in ground garden. There are just things that grow better in the ground versus a raised bed right? I chose a spot in our lawn that is actually a hayfield that we mow to look like our lawn :) Let me share how we created our garden in our hayfield lawn.

 With my husbands help we did just that. I went with the partial till garden that will hopefully be no till once it was created.


We chose an area about 20 feet long by 15 feet wide along our paddock fence. Borrowing our neighbor's tiller we broke up the hay field now lawn ground.


My husband started out but hurt his shoulder earlier so I took over. I went around the area we had planned out with 4 stakes at the corners.


Then went back and forth multiple directions to really break the lawn up. My husband picked the rocks as they were dug out.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


This is the end result of the initial lawn tilling.


A skid steer bucket of compost was dumped on, 


raked it evenly across


added another bucketful to the other end and raked it out


then rototilled it in well. This is our growing medium all ready to go.


The garden was divided into 4 rows and raked up in berms along these 4 rows. In the middle of each row it was raked smooth with thick cardboard laid flat making the pathway with cardboard edges tucked under each edge.


Then I tested adding straw to cover the cardboard and rows. Perfect. Day 1 is done.


The next day the cardboard walkways were laid out.


And the straw added. The end closest is solid dirt and this is where corn, sunflowers and squashes will grow.

Along the outside edge we rolled out a used baler belt to slow up grass growing in.


And this is the end of day 2. Now to let sit and wait for spring sowing.



The edge near the horse paddock requires a weed eater to keep the grass down there.


Being out on the prairie there is allot of wind so along the north end a row of burlap was set up. It really helps.


I planted 3 varieties (Yukon, red and fingerlings) of potatoes in late May as first plants in the garden.


I use metal blinds cut up for seed markers. (tutorial coming soon)


The outer edges are mowed with a ride on but this day the driver managed to get caught up in the rubber belt along the one edge. You can also see the potato plants growing along the raised rows.


We installed a wire trellis with sturdy t-posts along one of the rows to plant peas, as well as cucumbers and zucchini to hopefully grow up vertically on.


Mid June I was working on the flowerbeds. You can see the garden growth in the back ground.


June 22


June 29


The oat straw has lots of easy to pluck shoots. This is July 6th progress. 


A whole tub was picked in a few solo hours. You can see the soaker hoses ran thru the rows. This makes watering very easy when needed especially seeing it is hooked to a timer.


early July


This were hand gathered from around a couple plants July 9th!! Oh my goodness were they ever tasty especially with the fresh garden dill too.


garden view from rose bed


Things are growing well


July 14


July 14 progress.. the grass really needs mowing around it but there is a heat wave coming so holding off.


And below is July 20th

In my garden I have the 3 types of potatos, black sunflowers, corn, peas, scarlet runner beans, cucumbers, scallions, beets, kohlrabi, zucchini, carrots and squash. Oh and nasturtiums I hoped would help with bugs.


Below - I am trying to make good use of space I added carrots on one side of the pea trellis and shallots on the other


I will update progress next month but wanted to share and inspire others who are thinking about making a garden in an established area today. 

NOTE: If I was to do it again I would start in the fall.   layout my area and cover with cardboard totally then cover in compost and let nature and the cardboard kill the grass and any weeds under over winter. Then I would add more dirt/compost in the spring and continue my steps above from creating berms and walkways.

early August update - this is one hill of fingerling potatoes, they are my new favorite potato! 


And the sunflowers are really growing


Update August 13, 2024 below



I would love to hear any tips or stories you may have on your garden creations.

Be sure to check out other gardening related tutorials below I have shared

Garden Markers - coming soon


Here are some planters I did from seeds and dahlia tubers. I think they turned out great. I have seeds to share if your interested. Email me for the address to send a SASE to and I will get them mailed to you.



Nasturtium, Malva Zebrina, Calendula and marigolds abound


And of course I always have so many poppy varieties blooming all over. Below is a little albino bee on a malva zebrina flower





Comments

  1. Your vegetable garden is doing so well! While the labor is hard, the steps aren’t hard to follow. Nice tutorial! And your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am most pleased with the results and excited about the harvest

      Delete
  2. WOW, great job and well done. Have to show it to our son and DIL as they have a non-profit animal rescue farm and vegan, so starting to grow lots of produce for home use.
    Found your post at Sundays on Silverado. My entries this week are numbered #26+27.
    Hope you will join/share M-S at https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, I will be stopping by your link up party tomorrow to share it there too :)

      Delete
  3. Your efforts really paid off. Looks wonderful and the flowers exhibit a variety of color, texture and sizes. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. REALLY enjoyed reading about your garden, and the progress it has made! I didn't realize you lived on the prairie! I'm so happy to be featuring your post at Tuesday Turn About this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie for the feature and for hosting your fantastic weekly party

      Delete

Post a Comment