Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Floral Stenciled Wooden Crate

  This hand crafted wooden crate needed some pizzaz to give it a one of a kind look ready to hold pretty potted flowers on a front step. Happy Mother's Day it will be for one lucky Mom!

Wire & Wood Garden Trellis for $20

I have really wanted to try the cattle panel arch in our raised garden beds. However the panels are very pricey. So I came up with a budget friendly garden trellis for $20.

Scroll down for updated flower/ veggie progress photos

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


We had leftover rafters from our house build. They were cut apart and stored until needed.


My handy husband pulled off the remaining brackets then cut them to the size that we determined to work for our spot.
4 upright supports were cut to 80"
2 cross supports were cut to 57"
2  width supports were cut to 49"
2 lower braces were cut to 42 1/2"


We purchased a partial roll of livestock wire from a friend for $20. It was rolled out to determine the width would work as the smaller raised bed is 4' wide. The wire worked perfectly.


Between the two of us we set the lumber in a square and screwed them together. 


4 uprights, each pair has a cross piece to hold them apart then the pairs had 2 width pieces screwed in place.

2 lower braces were toenailed into place and a screw was put in the lower part of the uprights directly into the garden bed wall for added stability.


The wire was rolled up and over to the long raised bed side then cut to the length needed.


It was bent at the tops to square neatly across the top edges.


Using a power stapler I affixed the wire to the lumber with 3/4" staples.


The staples were continued all the way around keeping the wire taut.


My work was done under the careful inspection of my Cane Corso dog Harley


And in a few short hours it was complete.


UPDATE!!


Dill grew quickly and prolifically starting harvest June 26th


This is July 4th


July 13th


and July 20th


I have not gotten the zucchini to trellis but the seeded flowers beds are growing quickly.

August 2024 updates below



that purple cabbage was so delicious!


the trellis also acts as a great cat escape when a cat chasing dog visits

Comments

  1. I love this! I can just imagine how it will look with the vines climbing on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, I am so looking forward to seeing the vines and zucchini too :)

      Delete
    2. Very creative. Good way to recycle wood and wire. A wonderful place for morning glories! and sweet peas!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Anonymous, I look forward to seeing them too

      Delete
  2. I am thoroughly impressed by the depth and clarity of this post. It’s not only informative but also thought-provoking. Keep up the great work!
    https://www.discountdrift.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the feature, appreciated ;) See you wednesday at the party

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much! And it looks great. I think it tied up your garden area beautifully. Cannot wait to see the plants growing over it. And also, so glad I found your blog! Looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hte kind words Angie, appreciate them and look forward to having you join me on my creative adventures.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the feature I will be stopping by here soon to see the new link ups :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment