Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Farmhouse Dining Table with Butterfly Leaf


Butterfly leaf caught my attention when I saw this wooden dining table. Hidden and out of the way (not under the spare room bed) when not in use is perfect.


It was also the perfect size for a loft or apartment that provides extra surface when needed. Both above pictures are at the smaller size.


But with a smooth rolling mechanism, in seconds the hidden butterfly leaf appears. After a good scrub it was time to remove the old finish with my trusty Dewalt orbital sander.


Here is a closeup of what the sanded to bare wood and the old finish look like.


I hauled it outside (with help) to finish the entire table in the sunshine and fresh air.

Subscribe to this Blog    
Follow me on Pinterest ~  
Email me


Then it was on to staining the now bare wood top. I chose General Finishes antique walnut gel stain. I like to apply with a blue shop towel.


Here is the first coat complete. I added a second coat of antique walnut then General Finishes java gel stain around the edges to further enhance the rustic look. Both colors layered added to the rustic farmhouse feel I was trying to achieve. 

To seal the beautiful wood top once it dried well, I added 5 coats of General Finishes high performance top coat in flat finish with a 6th coat of semi gloss for a beautiful durable finish that enhances the gorgeous grain.


I was working on 3 wood projects at the same time all stained in this gorgeous color. See how different each wood variety looks with 1 coat? You can see the finished farmhouse riser and antique vanity linked.


Now to add the color to the double pedestal base. In keeping with the farmhouse feel a warm white was needed.  Country Chic paint in cheesecake was perfect. This lovely color was just used on this sweet sofa table.


Using my Cling On shorty paint brush, two coats were applied. (1 above and 2 below)


To seal the paint, clear wax was brushed and rubbed in for a smooth finish.

For added dimension,  Country Chic's antiquing wax was added to the details with a chip brush.
Perfect!! 


And it is complete!


watch how sweet this butterfly leaf works




leaf in (above) leaf hidden (below)




from seating 4 (above) to 6 (below)




dining table video tour




Shared at these Link Up Parties
Farmhouse Friday
Creative Inspirations
Silver Pennies Sunday

Comments

  1. Love this table. Im in process of doing a harvest table. It has a false drawer,would you paint it same as legs or stain like top ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, personally I would paint it the same as the base to blend in but if you wanted the drawer to "pop", you for sure could stain it. Good luck, it sounds lovely.

      Delete

Post a Comment