Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Antique Drum Table Revived

 

How about this before and after?


I purchased this antique drum table in varying states of finish. The base had been stripped but the top would not stay on the legs as the hole was stripped. The knob was missing and the drum apron was shellacked with a thick drippy finish. The drawer was stripped. It was definitely a project given up on but I had a vision for it.


A good deep scrub was first order of business. Watch how in the video above. I like to add a little TSP Alternative to my soapy water to really get the pieces super clean.


Starting on the base I used my carbide scraper from Richard tools to remove excess glue and gunk from the former attempted repair. If you work with wood furniture and do not have a scraper I highly suggest you get one. I have used this 2" scraper as well as my smaller 3/4" scraper on all these projects.


The cracks were wood filled with DAP wood pro-x and my best application tool for curved areas; my finger. I like to use the credit card for flat surface application.


look at the cracks


Moving to the top I found the table mount was cracked and wobbly so using another favorite tool; my offset palette knife, I pushed wood glue in all the cracks. Then using a gallon of paint as a weight I let it dry overnight.


Subscribe to this 
Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


Now to address the center post. The crack was glued and clamped and the screw removed from the base portion.


My in house carpenter drilled a new 1/2" hole using his cordless drill in the base about 1 1/2" deep.


As well as in the center post when dry again about 1 1/2" deep. 


A piece of 1/2" wood dowel around 3" long was covered in glue as well as glue in the holes and tapped tightly together and again allowed to dry well for a day or two.


Now to update the leather top, I forgot to mention that everything was scrubbed well as per usual. The leather top had small specks of white all over that would not wash off even with my great orange cleaner that removes paint like a darn


So I sponged on some Fusion Mineral Paint in chocolate. When it was dry Fusion's Stain & Finishing Oil in cappuccino was dabbed on to keep the mottled leather appearance.


Have you heard Fusion Mineral Paint has a new milk paint line?



For the base I chose the warm white color called toasted coconut. I use local newspapers to cover my work areas and today I was surprised to find anniversary wishes to my husband and I from our families. XOXOXO


As the first coat of milk paint there was a moment of panic when it reactivated the Dap Pro X wood filler. But don't panic, it dries clear.



The first coat ALWAYS looks terrible, again don't panic.


Three coats are perfect. After each coat I sanded it all smooth with a sanding sponge. I used the left over milk paint on this old wooden crate.


On the final coat the edges were distressed as well.


To seal it all up I chose Fusion's hemp oil applied with a chip brush.


Wipe excess oil after 25 minutes and let dry. To keep an aged look I added Fusion's Ageing Wax.


I chose an antique knob I had in my stash from past projects that worked perfectly.


It has great patina over the years and just required a cleaning.



The distressed edges and dark wax age the piece perfectly.

It sold before I had a chance to list it :)




Shared at these link up parties
Farmhouse Friday

Comments