Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Goodbye 80's Nightstand

 Goodbye 80's beat up dark stained finish and hello one of a kind rustic modern farmhouse white 2021 update.


before


You know I love a good before and after so let me share this amazing change up. Lets start by removing the package strapping?? that was still on the bottom.

 They easily pipped off, I am not sure why they were kept on but for my project they are gone.

Time to scrub this baby inside and out with warm soapy water and  Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner. Rinse well and and let dry. Check out my fancy new scrub gloves LOL


I have never been a fan of the top grooves on dresser as they end up a catch all so they were filled with Dixie Belle mud.


Here the mud is dry and ready to be sanded smooth. Below it is sanded and wet wiped clean.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


To seal in all the sanded to bare wood areas and prevent the pine from bleeding thru Dixie Belle BOSS was brushed all over using the flat medium Dixie Belle synthetic brush.


The drawer fronts were sanded and sealed as well.


This is the new Dixie Belle scarlet brush I am going to give a test run. I chose Dixie Belle Paint driftwood and fluff for this project. 


I will use the classic Dixie Belle best dang brush for the driftwood layer and scarlet for the fluff layer.


Here is the driftwood layer on. 
I did the sets matching tall boy dresser similar but grey/white from Dixie Belle as well.


You will find places that require more Dixie Belle mud after the first coat, fill them in.

Now it was time to try the Dixie Belle scarlet brush to apply the fluff; it worked well. 


Now to go back around the edges and apply some more driftwood with the oval brush. Blend well using the Fine Mist Spray Bottle.


Repeat this on all surfaces of the nightstand.


And all sides followed by a light sanding and distressing of the edges with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge. Then all was sealed with Dixie Belle clear coat in flat matte. This allows allows the next steps to be done easier and wiped off if not what I want to achieve.


The next step was to use Dixie Belle Glaze around the edges as well to add further dimension. I used grunge grey applying with a Dixie Belle chip brush .


I tried Dixie Belle dirt in color ash applied with another clean Dixie Belle chip brush. It was however too light so cracked open the color earth. Bother were pretty subtle.


video of progress so far


Time to pull out my favorite Dixie Belle's best dang wax in brown ; to warm all the cool tones which was the perfect addition. New hardware from D Lawless Hardware was put on to replace the dated old original. The simple classic cup pull comes with 2 sizes drilled making it very versatile paired with 2 simple round knobs. This satin nickel hardware offset the new paint job perfectly don't you think? 




Check out the reloved tall boy chest of drawers and low long dresser from this set too.




Links to Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this fantastic paint company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links does however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these tutorials. Thank you!

Shared up at these link up parties

Comments

Post a Comment