Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Natural Stain & Warm White Pedestal Dining Table


I have been on a dining table roll as of late and it is all because of the exceptionally nice weather here in Western Canada. Dining tables are large and to sand them down I prefer doing outside so when the weather was so lovely I did all the sanding outside I could. Here is another dining table makeover; this one in warm white with a natural stained top. 

It turns out my current dining chairs do not pair very well with the light colored table but are shown only for staging purposes.


I purchased this dining set from a friend thinking I wanted the pedestal table and press back chairs for my own home.


The pedestal is solid oak in great condition but the table top is wood veneer in rough shape and will need a complete makeover.


This is late September in Alberta which can easily be snow covered but with this amazing fall weather I hauled it out on my back deck to get to work. The horses always are curious when I am out working as are the cats and my shop assistant Harley.




Spread it around in a thick layer and let sit until the finish softens.


Using a metal scraper, remove the finish and stripper.


Watch the scraping process video


To neutralize the stripper and get any remaining bits of finish off I scrub the top with clean water and a scrub brush. Wipe off excess water with a towel and let dry.

While I wash scrubbing I also cleaned the pedestal and under side with Dixie Belle white lightning cleaner added to the water then rinsed clean and dried with a towel.


Next it was power sanding with my orbital sander starting with 80 grit paper. I progress thru 100-120-150 to removed all old finish and smooth the wood veneer carefully. Take your time as this is is where hurrying can cause big problems.


The entire surface was then hand sanded smooth.


The top is looking amazing all down to bare wood.


Now it was on to the edges. I find the easiest way is to us my handy carbide scraper from Richard tools. I have 2 sizes but for the edge I find the Richard Tools small carbide scraper works best.


Here is the carbide scraper in action video


Then hand sand the edges to remove and finish bits and smooth.


The table extension slides were sticky and to easily fix this Dixie Belle Big Mama’s Butta was brushed on with a dedicated Dixie Belle La Petite brush. This makes them move smoothly and smell good too.


The entire top is now back to bare wood and ready for the next step.


I wanted a natural wood finish on the top so applied a clear stain finishing oil I had on hand.


A light sand with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge after each coat was dry.


4 coats were applied to get the perfect look I wanted. Clear Dixie Belle's best dang wax was buffed on the top to give a soft satin sheen.


Moving on to the base, using a medium oval Dixie Belle synthetic brush I painted the pedestal and table edge in 2 coats of clear Dixie Belle BOSS. This product is a "primer" that seals, prevents bleed thru and adds grip to the smooth wood surface.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk


When dry for 24 hours the color went on. Endless shore; a warm white in the Dixie Belle silk mineral paint line was brushed on with my favorite angled mini Dixie Belle synthetic brush. Tipping the pedestal upside down allows to get all the surfaces and edges for a nice professional finish.


The able edges had the same treatment.


Two coats were brushed on in total for perfect coverage.


I wanted a clean crisp finish on this table with no further distressing or ageing. Dixie Belle silk mineral paint is perfect as it has a built in top coat and gives a smooth satin sheen.


Isn't it lovely?


The new light yet warm update gives a modern farmhouse feel to the dining table.


However after all the work put into it we have decided to refinish our current dining table in a dark stain top. Tutorial for it coming soon!

If you are local and interested in this beauty it is available!!


The 42" round table seats 4 easily.




The 24" wide leaf extends the seating to 6.



Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON


Shared up at these fun parties

Comments