Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Purple Clay Painted Accent Chair

 


Solid wood chairs are always fun to turn into one of a kind accent chairs. I used Dixie Belle Terra Clay Paint and a newly released songbird Dixie Belle stencil to give this IKEA wooden chair a royal update.
I sourced this IKEA dining set years ago. I loved the simple classic linear style and solid wood features. My middle daughter used the table as a desk along with one of the chairs. Recently I gave the table "desk" a makeover painting it in classic black. I have done other IKEA tables as desks in the past as well : here is a white one I did.

Now it is time for the chair to get a new look; the other 3 await their turn.


As always the first step is to thoroughly scrub the chair well with Dixie Belle white lightning cleaner in warm water, rinse well and dry.

Subscribe to these Blog Tutorials ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest 
Follow me on Instagram ~ Follow me on Hometalk

The chair had a cracked front edge so I took it off the seat and the cracked section then filled the cracks with wood glue and wiped off excess.


Using clamps and plastic (to prevent any excess glue that might ooze out) between wooden boards, the piece was clamped and left to dry.


It was then on to painting the chair. I chose wisteria mist and elderberry from the  Dixie Belle Terra Clay Paint line to pair with the buds and branches Dixie Belle transfer. I love the rich elderberry color. This went on with a small oval Dixie Belle synthetic brush. It is suggested to use natural bristle brushes with the clay paint but this size works best for the chair size.


The entire chair was painted a coat of the elderberry.


Wisteria mist Clay Paint was brushed on the center area of each section then blended together.


Here is my blending video to help show the process.


I used a small round Dixie Belle synthetic brush and a Fine Mist Spray Bottle to blend.

 These shades of purple Terra Clay Paint blend so pretty together along the upper right side don't you think?


Everything was then sanded with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge and waxed with white Dixie Belle's best dang wax. However I was not a fan once complete so I repeated the color blending steps all again to regain the dark purple shades.

The seat shows a bigger look at the blending. I used a variety of Dixie Belle synthetic brushes to paint as well as a small flat to apply Dixie Belle satin clear coat  over the seat once the paint was dry.

I cut the buds and branches Dixie Belle transfer into pieces and laid out my plan. I started with the lower right transfer removing the backing and rubbing in place with the enclosed wooden stick.

But it would not stick. It seems the Dixie Belle transfer did not adhere well with the layers of paint, wax, paint and clear coat. I share this with you to so you may not repeat my trouble as well as show that even someone who has 10 years of reloving furniture has problems arise.


Here is the transfer troubles video


But there is always a solution! :) I chose to repaint yet another layer of blended purple Terra Clay Paint on the seat.


And add this pretty newly released songbird Dixie Belle stencil painted in moon beam Terra Clay Paint. When dry I sanded it with a Dixie Belle sanding sponge for a worn weathered look to go with the blended paint look.

All surfaces were given 2 coats of Dixie Belle satin clear coat to seal up the paint and give a nice satiny surface.






Links to the Dixie Belle products are for your convenience. My affiliation with this company does not increase prices on your end, your purchases via my links do however provide a small subsidy which allows me to keep providing these free tutorials. Thank you!

FEATURED ON


Shared up at these fun parties



Comments

  1. Such a lovely chair! That is such a beautiful shade of purple, and I love the bird stencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your kind words, I too love the stencil and fun color :)

      Delete

Post a Comment