Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Walnut MCM Dresser with Warm White Accents

  I am a huge wood grain fan and when I find MCM pieces which usually are walnut wood I am thrilled to give them an update. This 6 drawer dresser did not disappoint. The warm white and wood combo is always a favorite of mine. How about you?

Cabinet Door Tray in Fort York Red



When I found this solid maple brand new with stickers still on cabinet door in the take it or leave it pile I knew it would be perfect repurposed as a serving tray.


First step was to fill the pre drilled handle holes and sand smooth, then paint the center with Rustoleum chalk board paint rolled on with a mini foam roller and use 4 coats for good coverage. A light sanding between coats ensures a smooth writing surface.

I did 3 other chalkboard projects at the same time; a large blue frame, a jumbo gold frame and a robins egg blue tray.


I knew red would be perfect for this tray as I envisioned Christmas snacks served on it. I have not tried Fusion Mineral Paint's fort york red yet so chose to use it.


Two coats worked perfectly. then the edges were lightly distressed to reveal the pretty maple wood thru. To give a more aged feel I also added Fusion Mineral Paint black wax 

New hardware was installed, sleek silver to add a juxtaposition of sparkle to the aged look.





After letting the chalkboard paint cure for 3 days at least, condition it then write away.




I snapped the above picture for size reference of this fun tray
(and yes I have a spelling error lol)


and with the blue tray as well

Linked up to these parties
Creative Inspirations
Farmhouse Friday

Comments