Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Faux Stone Jewelry Box using IOD Moulds, Jolie Paint & Saltwash


Faux stone / plaster finish jewelry chest in an aged finish using a variety of products to achieve this look. Let me share how I created it.

It is for sale and available on my Etsy store


This is the sweet little chest, great bones for the design plan I have in mind. First step is to clean it well so the paint will adhere.


Subscribe to this Blog  Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest ~ Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Hometalk ~ Visit my Etsy Store
Email me


To add dimension and texture to the top, Country Chic Paint's embossing paste (discontinued) was applied over a tin tile stencil using an offset pallet knife. Lift the stencil to reveal the raised design.


I never like to waste any product, see above video how I save the excess embossing paste (sorry it is filmed upside down).


Now let the paste dry. Then it can be lightly sanded to smooth any real bumps using a sanding sponge.


On the rest of the chest I added iod moulds (detailed tutorial) made from acrylic caulking.


I apply the glue (I use Titebond glue ) with an artist brush and ensure all surfaces are covered 


before pressing it in place.


            

TIP- DON'T use painter's tape as I did. The caulking really wanted to adhere to it when trying to remove it.


The moulds are easily trimmed and cut to size with scissors.


The above video shares a few questions I have been asked about this method.


Now all the raised design pieces are complete and it is time to paint.


For the colors of the jewelry box I chose Jolie Paint's french grey and rose quartz. I enjoyed creating today with a memorial of my Grandfather smiling up at me from the newspaper below.

If you order Jolie paint, here is a code for 10% off INF-CREATIVEMOMENTS


To add further texture to achieve the faux stone/plaster look I added some Saltwash to the Jolie Paint's rose quartz paint.

You can see other rose quartz projects HERE.



This mix was brushed in a stippled application all over the jewelry box to create the texture of faux stone.


Let it dry well.


Next layer is to dry brush on Jolie Paint's french grey.


Followed by Jolie Paint's palace white dry brushed. 


This adds further dimension and depth to the piece.


The entire box was clear waxed using Jolie's clear wax and their fabulous wax brush.


Now to add even more dimension using Jolie's brown wax .


See how it brings the details to life?


Here is the top clear above and dark added below.


Then for a little white wax too. Layers make the difference here.


You can alternate and add to suit your desired look.


Now to add a little sparkle, Jolie's gold gilding wax was applied using a very useful tool, a finger, to hit some high spots.


This adds yet another layer to the piece.


 

Check out more one of a kind Jolie painted projects









I am a brand ambassador and affiliate with Jolie, if you would like to order and receive discount off your order please use this code INF-CREATIVEMOMENTS, I guarantee will love their products.

email 6-4-2020

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete
  2. Very pretty and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(
      Appreciate your kindness :)

      Delete
  3. I live this look. I'm subscribed to your blog but I dont think I have received any tutorials from you. Thank you for this one! You cant go wrong with Saltwash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Sorry to hear no tutorials have arrived, please let me know if you would like me to add you manually to the list :)

      Delete

Post a Comment