Skip to main content

FEATURED Blog Post on Hometalk

Vintage High Chair in Natural Wood and Warm White

  I love giving old pieces new life. This vintage wooden high chair was my latest makeover project. I am loving the end look, how about you? This solid wood cutie was found by my furniture scouting sister. I messaged the seller sight unseen I would take it. My Mom picked it up and delivered to my door. THANKS family for all your help!

Stenciled Deck Rug


We built our new house in the middle of a prairie hay field. This means we have a ton of wind at least until all our planted trees mature in about 10 years!! I have always wanted a beautiful deck with a pretty rug but unless it was nailed down and was pet hair proof it is not going to happen. I can however have a painted/stenciled one. Here is how I did it ...


Using this large prosperity mandala stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils and Fusion Mineral Paint I created the rug of my dreams.


Like any painted project, prep is needed.. first step was to sweep


and scrub my deck where I planed to put the new "rug".

Subscribe to this Blog    
Follow me on Pinterest ~  
Email me


I got my supplies ready

- a hammer and nail (to affix stencil in place)
- my Fusion Mineral Paint colors; renfrew blue, azure and lamp white


Finding the center of where I wanted the "rug" I nailed the mandala stencil in place.


Refrew blue was the first color to be rolled on, as in all stenciling, less is more. 


Rotate the stencil 1/4 turn and continue, once back to the start it was azure's turn to get rolled on. Yes I used the same roller!! For the whole project which I think blend it even better adding some of the previous color to the next.


Of course in typical Alberta weather the winds picked up soon after I started so the hammer served a second purpose holding down the stencil as I painted ;)

Lamp white was the 3rd color to go on, as I mentioned using the same roller for all colors worked perfect for a blended azure/white. 


Remove the stencil and WALAA!!

Another note is I added water to each color to give it more of a stain consistency to absorb better into the wood.


Many have asked if I sealed the "rug". No I did not. Fusion Mineral Paint has a built in top coat and thinning it I hope was another bonus to it absorbing in the wood fibers. I will do an update next summer to see how it fairs over our Canadian winters.


Our Maremma Lola loves her new rug and it doesn't collect her hair either :)



Thanks to Fusion Mineral Paint and Cutting Edge Stencils for their amazing products that made my rug a reality!

FEATURED AT




Shared at  these fun link up parties

creative inspirations
Farmhouse Friday
Silver Pennies Sundays

Comments

  1. I love your rug and the pretty color! I also live in the prairies and ended up painting a rug on our deck but I'm liking yours much better. Dang, I should've scoped Cutting Edge Stencils site first before doing ours because I love this mandala stencil and it's name - who couldn't use some prosperity, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Prosperity is needed for us all , thanks ;)

      Delete
  2. Hey very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete
  3. Hello there I am so thrilled I found your weblog, I really found you
    by accident, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say
    cheers for a marvelous post and a all round interesting
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don?t have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked
    it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete
  4. Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, let alone
    the content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much so sorry for the delay in replying as this was found in an awaiting moderation folder ;(

      Delete

Post a Comment